Arulmigu Nellaiappar Arultharum Kanthimathi Amman Temple, Tirunelveli
According to the puranas, both the Gopurams were built by Muluthukanda Rama Pandiyan and the other important parts of the temple were constructed by Nindraseer Nedumaran who reigned in the 7th century A.D. The mani mandapam with its famous musical pillar was built by Nindaraseer Nedumaran in the 7th century A.D. Originally the Nellaiappar and Kanthimathi temples were two independent structures with spaces in between. It was in 1647 A.D. that Thiru Vadamalaiappa Pillaiyan, a great devotee of Siva linked the two temples by building the “Chain mandapam”. To the western portion of the chain mandapam is the flower garden that was set up in 1756 A.D. by Thiruvengadakrishna Mudaliar. In the centre of the Flower Garden is a square vasantha mandapm with 100 pillars. The Nandi mandapam is said to have been built by Sivanthiappa Nayak in 1654 A.D. The flag stand near the Nandi was set up in 1155 A.D.There are a number of stone inscriptions in the temple. The most important of them are those Veerapandiyan who regained about 950 A.D. and those of Rajendran I and Kulothunga chola I. The inscriptions of Maravarma Sundara Pandiyan refer to the Lord as “Woodayar” and “Wodeyanayanar” and the Goddess as “Nachiar”. From the inscriptions of Kulasekkara Pandiyan we learn that he defeated the Chera, Chola and Hoysala kings and built the outer walls of the temple with the war booty. Siva is said to have been worshipped by Agastya in a bamboo grove and by Rama after having killed Mareecha some nine miles away at Manoor. There is also a shrine to Vishnu near the sanctum, signifying the belief that Nellai Govindan (Vishnu) visited Tirunelveli to officiate the divine marriage of Shiva and Kantimathi. A little to the south of Swami Nellaiappar Gopuram stands the Gopuram of Arultharum Kanthimathi Ambal temple. It was here, where composer Sri Muthuswami Dikshithar composed the carnatic song ‘Sri Kanthimatheem’ in Hemavathi ragam. Kanthimathi Nellaiyappar Temple is the well known twin temple dedicated to Goddess Parvathi (Kanthimathi Ammai) and Lord Shiva ( Nellaiyappar – the Protector of Paddy). Covering an area of 14 acres, it is the biggest temple in Tamil Nadu situated in the heart of the city on the banks of river Taamiraparni at a distance of 2kms from the railway station. The temple, believed to be built by the Pandyas in the 13C was entirely remodeled and extended in 17C – 18C. Some of the inscriptions in the temple dates back to 950A.D. The temple is also known as one of the 5 Pancha Sabhas (dance halls) of Nataraja (lord Shiva); the others being at Chidambaram, Madurai, Tiruvalankadu and Kutralam.
- Chithirai – Vasanth Mahotsavam (16 days)
- Vaikasi – Visakath Thiruvila (1 day)
- Ani – Bramotsavam (Ani Car Festival) (10 days)
- Adi – Pooram Thiruvilam (10 days)
- Avani – Moolathiruvila (11 days)
- Puratasi – Navarathiri Vila (15 days with Laksha Archanai)
- Ippasi – Thirukkalyanam (15 days)
- Karthikai – Karthikai Deepam and Somavara Thiruvila (1 day)
- Margali – Thiruvathirai Festival (10 days)
- Thai – Thai Poosam Thiruvila (10 days)
- Masi – Masi Maha Shivarathiri (1 day)
- Panguni – Panguni Uthira Thiruvila (10 days)
Important Cultural Festivals-June (Aani)-Aani Car Festival (10 Days)
Sankarankoil Aadi Thabasu Festivals
The better half of Lord siva, Umayammai made a petition to the Lord for showing to the world the wrong of distinguishing gods as Siva and Vishnu . She beseeched the Lord to show the sight where in he was with Sri Narayana moorthy. Lord Siva acceded to the request of his better half and told her that she would hava dharsan of Sankara and Narayana in the punnaivanam of the podhigai mountain range of the earth after proper penance Accordingly, Umayannai descended to the earth along with her entourage of Deva madhas and did penance and attained the names of Gomathy Ammai and Avudayammai . The Lord kept his word and gave dharshan to her on the Uthirda day of the Tamil month of Aadi. The Moolava Sannadhi shows Lord Siva and Lord Vishnu as one person.
The Temple at Thirukkurungudi in Tirunelveli District
TFour Azwars as Nammazwar, Tirumashisai Azwar, Kulasekara Azwar, Periazwar and Tirumangaiazwars sung the praise of Supreme Lord of this Temple at Thirukkurungudi in Tamil Nadu in the 8th century which refer to Sri. Swami Azhagiya Nambi. Lord Azagia Nambi of the Temple disquised himself as Nammalvar at Alwarthirunagari in Tuticorin District, Tamil Nadu. He sung four Prabhadam such as thiruvaimozhi etc. which represented to four vedas Sri.Nammalwar translated in Tamil Vedas as four as Divya Prabhandam. One saint Tirunangai Alwar travelled from Badrigasramum to Thirukkurungudi.He attained Mukthi at Thirukkurungudi by the grace of Lord Azhagia Nambi. .
The founder of the Vaishanava Sri Ramanuja came to Thirukkurundi and worshipped Sri Lord Azhagianambi and chainted three mantras to Sri Nambi and gave the rich name “Sri Vaishanava Nambi”. He founded the Thirukkurungudi Madam. Though it is sacred to Vaishanavas. The temple is administerd by the Madathipathi of the Mutt at Thirukkurungudi. The village is surrounded by Western Ghats Mountain. There is a river named Nambi Aru which fertile the Village very detailed.In the Raja Gopuram done in hard granite with carveings. So many festivals are being performed in every month. There are so many sculptors in stone as well as wood in the Rajagopuram of this temple. The Rajagopuram is praised by pilgrims as treasure of Art Temple. The temple is being visited as pilgrim centre by the Tamil Nadu Government. Hundreds of pilgrims and worshippers come every day visit the temple as well as worship.
Arulmigu Kasiviswanather Temple – Tenkasi
The holy temple was constructed by the great King jadilavarman Arikesari parakarama Pandiaal by 1445 A . D. The Kilng had a dream the and in the dream Lord Shiva. Wishe the King to built a temple for him on the Dhakshin Kashi on the holy river bank of Chitra Ganga (Chittaru). Surrouonded by ponds. Hills . mountains and pothigai saral – Tenkasi Nagar. The Temple build in 1463 had 9 stories with cultural art and architecture.. Due to the fire accident the temple Rajagopuram was damaged wholly. And the New Rajagopuram with 9 stories was finished by 1990.
Important Cultural Festivals
- Aavani Moolam – Theppa Festival
- Iypasi Thirukalyana Festival
- Maasi Maha Festival
Arulmigu Thirucourtrala Nathasamy Temple
The Present Thirukkutralanathar Temple was designed by the Great King Raja Rajan. The first Prakara wall (Precincts) was built by him. Historians State that the shrine of Lord Perumal was situated left to that of the presiding deity. During the period of the Pandiya kings, the sanctum sactorum, Arthamandapam, Mahamandapa, Separate shrine for Goddess Kuzhalvoimozhi Amman and Pillayan Kattalai Mandapam were built.Parasakthi temple was built during the rule of the Nayakka kings. The Compound wall for the Kutralanathar temple, Sanguveethi were also constructed then. New shrines in the inner prakaras were built. Sage Agasthiar, the devotee of Lord shiva should have removed the statue of Lord Perumal which was kept to the left of the shrine of Kutralanathar during the Nayakkar period. Lord Perumal’s shrine is now used as the store house.Chokkampatti kings built Thirikooda Mandapa, Pasupirai, Thatodi, Vaithiyappavilasam and the Corridor for Kuzhalvoimozhi Amman. Stone laying work in the Sanguveethi and Vasantha veethi were also completed.The people of the town did renovation work for Kuzhalvoimozhi Amman temple in 1925
Chithrai Vishu Thirunal, Aippasi Vishu Thirunal, Margazhi Thiruvathirai Thirunal and Theppa Thirunal are Special Festivals of the temple.